Thursday, May 16, 2013

Harroun Community Park Ottawa River Carp on the Fly!

Man! That's a title! : ) Finally done with school for a bit and just got back from vacation in Georgia. I now have a bit of free time to do what I want to I went fly fishing for carp yesterday. I scoped the area out last week before I left so I knew what I needed to do in order to catch carp.

The area where I went is part of the Ottawa River. It's really cool because the area is not very far from my house and it's smack dab in the middle of everything. Flower Hospital, the hospital where I used to work, is just a short hike to where I was fishing which is incredible.

I was wet wading as the water was not as cold as I was expecting even though the deeper parts were just above my waist. I really took my time that day seeing what was in the pool. It was filled with carp and suckers. I tied on a heavy weighted leech pattern and was almost nymphing with it. A giant came up and slurped it in as it was cruising just under the surface as the fly was sinking. I set the hook and it ran. I'm glad I had my 8wt because I was considering using my7'6" 4wt but it would have been almost impossible to bring this carp in.


I apologize as Blogger is being dumb and won't let me directly insert a Youtube video for some reason. Click here to watch the video of the fight and release on Youtube. Skip to 8:40 to see the fish up close and personal and then the release. I lowered the resolution to 720p instead of 940p as it gave me 60fps which is super nice. 

After a while, I hooked into another one. This fish gave me a run for my money. I didn't land it though but it still was fun to see my line zip out of the reel on a higher drag set. Watch it here.

Overall it was a great day. I now know that there are a lot of carp close to home. You just have to look in the places that you'd least expect them and do your homework before hand! That's what fishing is all about. 

One thing I've learned about river carp is that once you catch one out of one hole, you can't catch another because they then know that they're being hunted. I guess I'll have to wait for another day to catch another big one.


No comments:

Post a Comment