Monday, July 30, 2012

Virginia Kendall State Park


I grew up in Ohio: Cleveland to be more precise. Ohio holds some amazing treasures from parks with ledges and beautiful streams and rivers to the coast of Lake Erie and much much more. One place in particular that I love about Ohio is the ledges in Peninsula, Ohio.


Lauren, my girlfriend, and me in front of the entrance to Icebox Cave
Peninsula, Ohio is home to Virginia Kendall State Park. There are many beautiful rock formations, cracks, and crevices throughout the park. There are several trails I love to walk on and there is even a cave. Icebox Cave, if you really do want to call it a cave, is home to cave centipedes, brown bats, spiders, and other creatures who love the dark and damp atmosphere of a cave.

There are several very nice overlooks of the Cuyahoga River Valley as well as picnic areas. It is a nice place to take a hike. Literally.

Moss covered boulders : )
In the spring, the flowers are blooming, the air is cool but perfect hiking weather.

The snow is melting and the ground can be soggy but still provide a firm grip when traversing the slippery rocks.

Summer brings the heat yet under the canopy of the beautiful trees, there is shelter, there is shade. The warm breeze penetrates the foliage and the sun peaks through the trees to provide enough light for great pictures.

Fall brings the beauty out of the trees themselves. It brings in cold weather again, the red, yellow, and orange trees and provides some amazing views over the valley at the outlooks at the park.

Skyward...
Winter, though it may be cold, is stunning nevertheless. The gorgeous snow covered rocks and trees sure make up for the bitter cold winds that whip through the trees. Believe it or not, Icebox Cave stays warmer than the air outside in the winter, which is a nice change, although it still is cool.

Gorgeous girl...Oh look! Cook rock formations!
There are so many good parks in Ohio yet I still deem this my favorite out of all of them...So far.... : ) My Dad, cousin Dave, Rob, and I are going to Hocking Hills this coming Wednesday so when I report back with pictures and stories, I'll see if Hocking Hills tops my favorite park...in Ohio that is. : )

Here are more pictures for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy!



More gorgeous ledges...

We truly serve an awe-inspiring God!

No comments:

Post a Comment